20°C Sunny Intervals
Trip Essentials

Population

Population and Diversity

Hong Kong, as of mid-2013, has an estimated population of around 7,184,000 million people. Although it is one of the most densely populated areas in the world, only 25% of the territory’s landmass is developed. The population densities in Hong Kong Island and Kowloon are much higher, 16,390 per sq km  and 43,290 per sq km respectively. By contrast, New Territories and Islands have a population density of 3,810 per sq km.

In terms of the people, the largest ethnic group in Hong Kong is Chinese and accounts for over 95% of the total population. The remaining 5% comes from Southeast Asian countries such as Philippines, Indonesia, India, Pakistan and Nepalese. There is also a growing number of expatriates from America, Australia, Britain and Canada working in the city’s business sectors.

 

Comments

Add your comment


Please enter the Verify Code